The basic premise of 3SF is to design and provide solid training programs for people who wish to improve their overall fitness.
I provide everything from basic strength training programs to endurance programs for marathons and Ironmans. Our philosophy..."simplicity is effectiveness." There is no over charging, or charging you for things that won't make you faster, stronger, and healthier. Give it a shot..what do you have to lose.

Saturday, May 21, 2011

Childrens' Heros


Recently my little boy was watching Chicken Little. Without becoming a movie spoiler it is about a little boy (a.k.a Chicken Little) who has a "piece of sky" fall on his head. As the story goes it becomes apparent that nobody believes him...or worse yet believes in him. Even CL's dad directs doubt and critism towards his own son.

As I stood there for a brief moment, I quickly found myself emersed in the movie...introspectively wondering why so many parents do this very thing to their own children. I glanced across the room and saw my five year old son...beautiful, full of life and wonder, and new to all the world has to offer.

Realizing I am to be his sherpa of life I found myself making plans to show him the world, to be there when he decides to test his own skills...and to always provide support and encouragement...despite the inevitable obstacles and failures on the road of life.

Recently he participated in his first triathlon. Like life, the obstacles were set. It was cold (40 degrees), raining, and windy. The rain fell with a hard sting and there was a cold north wind. They came out of a warm indoor swim into the harsh cold...rain...wind. I was there to help him in the transition area, but by the time he left transition you could see him shaking from the cold. Minutes later (what seemed like forever) he was coming into T2. His lips purple and hands red, wrinched with cold. From personal experience I knew the pain. I could see doubt in his eyes, but as he made eye contact with me I knew he was searching for certainty and that is exactly what I gave him. Like a stone pillar unwavered by the elements I stood in the rain...strong and stead fast in my confidence for him. Through clapping, cheering, and a loving connection with the eyes...in less than words I told him he could go on. It was going to be tough but he could make it.

He made T2, removed his helmet, and made his way onto the run course. Clothes soaked and hanging from his small frame he moved into a jog. Mom was there to provide support...an encouraging word. And just like that I lost sight of him. He was out there somewhere...doing something...and all I could hope was that what we had given him up to this point in his young life would be enough for him to face this challenge. Consumed by these thoughts, I was brought back by the announcer boldly stating that my little boy had made the final turn and was headed home. With a surge in my own legs I rushed to the finish line. I felt as if I was running my own race. Full of excitement I saw him...rain running down his face, shirt barely hanging from his shoulders, his eyes fix on me...and in that moment he cross the finish line. In some of the worst conditions which multisport athletes face this little 5 year old boy did it. We high-fived and I helped him warm his cold body. In a moment of silence he said..."I did it Dad. Just like you."

Being your child's favorite hero is a special privilidge. Don't deny it, accept it, and live it. All children look to their parents for guidance, hope, and inspiration. It should be no surprise that in their own moments they want to prove their worth to you. Be there for them, support them, encourage them, take pride in them, and believe in them. Whatever you do, don't take second place to Superman...be the real hero.

1 comment:

Robin Hood said...

Another a informative great read by you looking forward to visit more really soon.

NFL Tickets