The basic premise of 3SF is to design and provide solid training programs for people who wish to improve their overall fitness.
I provide everything from basic strength training programs to endurance programs for marathons and Ironmans. Our philosophy..."simplicity is effectiveness." There is no over charging, or charging you for things that won't make you faster, stronger, and healthier. Give it a shot..what do you have to lose.

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Cross-Training is Key!


One of the biggest things I struggle with as a coach is getting my athletes to cross-train. Many of them think that more swimming, biking, & running leads to better performance, & to some degree that is true. However, some of the best training a multisport athlete can do is done out of the water, off the bike, and opposite of the run. Don't be afraid to mix it up. Things like boot camp class, pilates, yoga, hiking, jump rope, and traditional sports like golf, basketball, baseball, softball, & soccer can help you engage different muscle groups and muscle fiber types which can lead to better performance during multisport events. Yeah...even pogo stick jumping can be a good form of cross-training. Don't believe me...try it out for yourself!

2 comments:

MarshRat said...

I have alwasy struggled with this issue of thinking if I am not running then I am not training. not sure pogo jumping is my thing but I will keep it in mind

Coach Duston Morris said...

Many runners think this, & it is "old school" training. Volume in run training is important but should be balanced with x-training. Once you have established the needed volume, you can run less, x-train more and still see improve in run times.