The basic premise of 3SF is to design and provide solid training programs for people who wish to improve their overall fitness.
I provide everything from basic strength training programs to endurance programs for marathons and Ironmans. Our philosophy..."simplicity is effectiveness." There is no over charging, or charging you for things that won't make you faster, stronger, and healthier. Give it a shot..what do you have to lose.

Tuesday, April 8, 2008

OK to Grab It!


I never thought when I got into this sport that I would become less modest! I am a pretty laid back person, but to "grab it" in public...well I thought that was something I would never do. Then I was introduced to "Mr. Wetsuit." I call him "Mr. Wetsuit" because if not given the attention & respect required he will/can present real problems in T1 (transition 1: swim-to-bike). Over the years, I've learned to rely less on "Mr. Wetsuit" & just tweak my swimming and T1 skills. However there are times when he is needed (e.g. early season races, long distance races, and confidence booster). So if you are going to call on "Mr. Wetsuit" here are some things to make him & you happy. Trust me...I had too many early career races where I looked more like a dysfunctional Batman than a stellar triathlete. Follow these tips to improve your T1 times:


  1. Make sure to use a lubricant (body glide is my favorite) to increase ease of: putting on your suit, shedding your suit, & decrease chaffing during your race.

  2. Use a suit that is a two-piece vs. one-piece. I like Desoto because the top is separate from the bottoms and (in my opinion) easier to get on & off. Plus you can only wear the top without the bottoms if the water is cool, but you really don't need your entire suit.

  3. Limit the use of suits. Unlike our superhero Batman, our skills are primarily based based on our human ability, not equipment. Sure we could debate all day about this one, but when it comes down to it, the fast triathletes are not fast because of their equipment, they're fast because they do the RIGHT kind of training.

So in short, go ahead a grab it! Of course I am talking about the wetsuit. Just remember, people are watching and in all my years of experience I have learned there are times and races when it is best to leave "Mr. Wetsuit" at home.


No comments: